Tip #1 - Blog or website?
Blogs are typically used when what you are sharing is mostly content based; a chronicle of your experiences, a travel guide, book reviews, etc.
Websites are mostly used when you have content like a brand, a store, a service.
Combination - A blog can be part of a website, for example, you are reading a blog that I created in my website. Here I share tutorials, tips and other content while other pages in my website have the services I offer.
Tip # 2 - Web Platform
There are many easy to learn DIY web platforms available out there; they all have their good points and their not so good points.
My personal favorite is Weebly. I will write a post soon about the good, bad and ugly for Weebly but meanwhile you can check out this article for a comparison among platforms written by Jeremy Wong.
Tip # 3 - Outline
Tip # 4 - Keywords
What is a keyword: A keyword for SEO purposes should be more like a phrase, at least 3 words long.
How many you need will depend on the niche you work in. I personally like to focus on 3 - 5 keywords at a time. Content is king and trying to rank for more than that at the same time would be very difficult and expensive as we would need many hours to accomplish it.
This is how I perform keyword research:
1 - Go to: Keywordtool.io Write the keyword there and then copy all and paste them on the Google keyword planner tool
2 - Download the keyword list with the search traffic estimates and download it on CVS – Excel format.
3 -Open the file and delete those keywords that are not relevant.
4 - Scan the keywords without traffic and decide which ones to still pursue.
Goal is to have 50 – 100 long tail keywords
Select the top (high to medium traffic and relevancy) 3 -5 keywords and work on those
The keywords / key phrases used in local or national SEO differ. For example, a restaurant owner in Reston, VA may use some of the following keyphrases:
italian food reston, va
italian restaurant reston, va
italian food northern va
However, a website owner who sells beauty products may use some of the following keyphrases:
face cream for women
lotion for sensitive skin
hand moisturizer for women
Local SEO targets visitors from a specific geographic location whereas national SEO targets visitors from anywhere in the nation. National SEO is harder to achieve and takes more time and resources to accomplish.
Tip # 5 - Content
I am crazy about Buzz Sumo place your keyword there and you will have many ideas staring at you within seconds.
Another source is Yahoo Answers, Google News, Twitter and even Facebook.
But whatever you do...GO ORIGINAL! Do not copy and paste because that's a big no-no for SEO!!!
Tip # 6 - Backlinks
- The #1 way to get awesome backlinks is to create an article and share it on a related website to your niche.
- If you have a local business creating local citations is a fantastic way to gain link popularity
- Do not link with spammy or porn websites, you will be punished by the gods in Google
- Quality over content - it is best to have a few quality backlinks than a bunch of spammy backlinks
Tip # 7 - UX - User Experience
When your audience arrives to your website. do they enjoy what they see?
Can they find the information that they are looking for?
Is your website cluttered?
With broken links?
Think of your website as your home or office. When people arrive do they feel welcomed or do they feel like they do not konw where to look or click?
On April 2015 Google made it mandatory that websites had to be "responsive". This means that a website looks good on a mobile device as well as a desktop.
This is all because the "UX" baby!
Tip # 8 - Social Media
Tip # 9 - The finer details
- Title Tags are important. All pages should have at least an H1 title tag with your main keywords for the website page or blog post.
- For local websites, use schema.org HTML language. Things like your business address, etc. should be implanted in your website to be picked up easier in local searches.
- Set up a free account with Google Webmaster Tools and Bing, add the tracking code to your website.
- Check the snippet - Using Google Webmaster Tools you can set up the snippet which is what the user sees about your website in their search page.
Tip # 10 - Rinse and repeat
Please tell me what you think about this post and share it with your peeps!